Reading Challenge of 2019



My goal in 2018 was to read twelve books; one book per month. I managed to up that number to seventeen! So for this year, my goal was to read seventeen and I have achieved that in October! By the end of the year, I read 20 books! It is incredible to see how my reading speed improves year by year. I also believe this would not be possible without bookstagram. So, thank you all for the motivation and great encouragement in my reading habits.


 Here are the books I have read in 2019:

1.     Kingdom of Ash 3/5 – Sarah J Maas
      This huge book closes the Throne of Glass series and despite that I loved the series; the last book was such a disappointment. It was sloppy, the writing style had plot holes and important passages were skipped while the romantic scenes were too long. It did provide the closure and it tied all the loose ends, thank God for that. You can read my full review here. Beware of Spoilers!

2.      Ziadne Prudke Pohyby 3/5 – Maxim E Matkin
      The book by the Slovakian author was next. After being in Sarah J Maas’ world for more than six months I overdosed on Young Adult hence I picked a satiric, sarcastic and contradictory contemporary book by my most favourite Slovakian author. It wasn’t his best work but it was good. My full review in the Slovakian language is here.

3.     The Cruel Prince 2/5 – Holly Black
      I wanted a stand-alone fantasy but not YA. How wrong was I to pick up this book? Yes, very very wrong. I hated most of this book as well. It was shallow, the world had no background. (More about that in my full review.) I hated the relationship between the main characters. I feel like they are toxic. I was bullied when I was in school and trust me, you do not fall in love with any of the involved people. It was very poorly written so I won’t be reading the next books in the series.

4.     Zvlastne stastie 4/5 – Maxim E Matkin
      I went back to the Slovakian contemporary literature hoping that reading different genres then fantasy and young adult will treat me from my overdose. I enjoyed this one a lot. It follows real events in Slovakia, kind of… some characters can be connected with real people, but I doubt that these real people found themselves in such situations. It is not a real story, but the message in the book is very real. Especially after the murder of the investigative reporter last year.

5.     I heart Paris 1/5 – Lindsey Kolk - DNF
      I started reading this book one summer August day when I was bored. I regret it ever since. I have not finished this book and it is one of the very few books that I gave up on. I tried to stay away from YA or fantasy and this is a romance but this book portraits young women in a terrible way. This book goes against all of my beliefs as a feminist. I don’t think I wrote a review of this book on my blog; I simply struggle to find words.

6.      Becoming 5/5 – Michelle Obama
      After such fiasco, I needed my feministic boost! AND. I. AM. CLAPPING. Michelle Obama is such an inspiration. Strong, independent and intelligent woman we all should take an example from. It had all the themes that closely resonate with me: equality, feminism and racism. I loved how this book combines politics and family life. The writing was superb and despite the heavy topics, this book was never boring. The full review is here. 

7.    The Language of Thornes 4/5 – Leigh Bardugo
      Leigh Bardugo is one of the popular hyped authors who I haven’t read before. This was the very first book from Grishaverse I jumped in. I have to thank my friend Sophia (@Sophias_bookemporium on Instagram) as she convinced me to do the buddy read. I really enjoyed this. I think it was a great idea to pick short stories for a buddy read. We discussed the book and we both had great observations. You can read my full review here.

8.     Time Crawlers 2/5 – Verun Sayal
      I was given this book by the author for an honest opinion. I love sci-fi and that was the reason I took a gamble and decided to read the six short stories. I had no expectations; this could have been the best book or the worst. All I am going to say is: there is a lot of space for improvement when it comes to writing. This is a beginner writer who clearly didn’t do any research about ‘how to write a book’. The ideas and core elements for the short stories were good, but there was no research for the problematics, certain elements were missing completely in the stories. Sci-fi is a very hard genre to write and there has to be a lot of information to make it seem realistic in the short space. 

9.     Sky in the deep 3/5 – Adrienne Young
      Adrianne Young is one of the authors who attended YALC 2019 in London this year and that is the reason  I decided to join some other girls for a buddy read of her first book. I have to say that plot-wise it was nothing ground-breaking but the setting was great and the writing style was also very enjoyable.

10.   Navzdy 3/5 – Maya Sinay
      Another romantic book and another Slovakian author. I won this romance in a hashtag competition. At the start, I was annoyed with the main female lead but there was a little change in her character during the story and after that, I was able to just go with it. I read half of this book in one go. Not because it was so captivating, but because it was such an easy read. Not the best book ever but enjoyable during the sunny hot day in the garden. 
      The full review is here.

11.   Neverwhere 5/5 – Neil Geiman
      This was one of the best books I have read in a long time. Neil is a master writer and his books are incredible. The lines between reality and fantasy are so blurred you don’t know where one starts and other ends. The characters’ personalities are various and rich. The writing style is very unique. With Neil Geiman, you either love his books or hate them. The full review of this book can be found here.

12.  They Both Die at the End 4/5 – Adam Silvera
      This book broke my heart. I really enjoyed the way it was written, from two points of view and how the view was switched between the main characters. I loved the whole concept of the plot because I love sci-fi I really appreciated the futuristic element. The end of the book was the worst and the best at the same time. I hate and love this book.

13.  Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone 5/5 - J.K. Rowling
      This is a re-read after almost 10 years. And I am loving it. The first book made me feel like a child again. I forgot how amazing the world that Rowling built is. I forgot how in-depth the story goes without giving too much away too early. I forgot how incredible the trio is.

14.  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 4/5 – J.K. Rowling
      I don’t really know why but I enjoyed the chamber less than the first book. It was the first HP book I read when I was little and for years it was my favourite. This re-read might actually change this.

15.  Priepast 3/5 – Jozef Karika
      I decided to squeeze a Slovakian book in between my Harry Potter marathon. This book took me approx. two weeks to read so it was quite fast. I have to say I was a little bit disappointed as it wasn’t as good as I expected. It was repetitive and somewhere in the middle, it slipped into boredom and never claimed up (pun intended). This was the second book by Jozef Karika I have read and the first one really set up high expectations. The full review is here. 

16.  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 5/5 – J.K. Rowling
      The third book in the series and we are finally getting to some serious stuff (pun intended). By now we are well aware of how the magical world works so Rowling is not scared to go further to the past and bring it back to life to tell us more about Harry and other characters. We learn what actually happened on the night Harry’s parents died. This book was very enjoyable but completely different from an adult point of view. It did feel like a different story as I was not looking at the plot but connecting more and more dots from the background. The Potter world starts to turn into a masterpiece from this very book on….

17.  V Znamení Ametystu  4/5 – Majka Danihelova
      Slovakian fantasy books are still very rare. The book ‘Under the Sign of Amethyst’ is one of the first Slovakian YA fantasy books. There are so many details, the world is perfectly built, including legends and history. I was overwhelmed and confused with a few things as there was a lot to handle for the first book. I loved the main character and the way she grew and changed. This was the first book of the young author and it was a great read! The cliff-hanger and surprise moment at the end was just perfect set up for part two! I can’t wait! The book review is coming soon.

18.  The Girl of Ink and Stars 5/5 - Kiran Millwood Hargrave
      I ventured into the story blind, without knowing anything. I bought the book because it was pretty and I was so pleasantly surprised. This children book was fast-paced with short descriptions in between. I loved how this book didn’t leave the adults out and despite that, the main character is a young girl the adults were present and deal with the happenings of the story. The plot was simple but interesting enough to keep you hooked. Everything in this book was connected and the foreshadowing was perfectly done. I really recommend this book if you are in the reading slump, I bet you can get through it in one day!

19. The Travelling Cat Chronicles 4/5 –  Hiro Arikawa
      I had very high expectations for this book. It is the first book I am reading by Japanese writer  and I heard so much about it. The first part of the book was almost boring. There were a lot of memories; the story was jumping to the past and then present – I don’t like this very much. I didn’t have any emotional connection to the character either and the different cultural background made it hard for me. Some things that are a mare inconvenience in my culture were HUGE deal in the book and I simply just didn’t get it. I was missing the cat’s point of view. This however changed in the second half. Almost whole second part of the book was written from the cat’s point of view. I loved it and despite knowing what will happen I cried. 

20.   Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 5/5 - J.K.Rowling
       This book is dark. Really dark. It was so GOOD! I forgot a lot of things since I read it last         time and that is why I enjoyed this book so much. For the first time in the series there are           several plots enrolling on the backgroud of the main Harry story and we only get to see             few events via Harry's eyes (or ears as he sometimes overhears a conversations, totally by         coincidance) but everything is explained at the end and it is mindblowing!
       Chamber was always my favourite book, but after this re read I love Goblet of Fire the               most... but I still have 3 books to go...

How did you do with your reading goal in 2019? Have you read any of these books? You can leave a comment or talk to me on my Instagram @bookatiepillar.


No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com