The Language of Thorns - Leigh Bardugo 4/5


Leigh Bardugo is one of the authors who is hyped up in the bookstagram community and one of the authors who I haven’t read yet. I haven’t read any SJM before 2018… I know, I lived under the rock before bookstagram. But I am slowly catching up and getting through books and authors that all of you love. I didn’t want to start a series so I picked up Language of Thornes thinking it is a stand-alone. I found out that this book is a part of Grishaverse a little bit later. Never the less, I think it was very enjoyable despite the fact I haven’t read any other books from this fantasy world.

The book consists of six short stories, all resemble some classic fairy tales and all contain a strong element of magic. This read was very exciting. I loved to read short stories; feels like I finished six books in just two weeks. So here are few thoughts about each of the stories: 

Ayama and the Thorn Wood
- I love how easily was a girl of colour integrated into the story. I wish it was always this easy and natural. I also love that she become a monster herself, proving that monsters are nothing to fear of. The maze felt a little bit useless and not important. The repetition of the events in the story was a nice reference to the classic tales, but also a bit boring towards the end.

The Too-Clever Fox
- I didn't believe it was the woodcutter at the beginning of the story and I automatically suspected the girl. As the story progressed I started to trust the girl more and more just to find out, it was her all along!
- I loved that the main character was an animal - a fox. Reminded me strongly of Ezop's fables. I left like I should learn something from this story too. Trust your first judgement and guts, maybe? I also felt that the fox was beyond saving at the end so I was very surprised he lived, but I was happy he survived. I also really loved that he lived with his friend, the nightingale, at the end. This story felt very cute and very dark, I loved that contrast.

The Wich of Duva
- This was a very unique story. The Wich was a good character and I love to break the superstitions and cliches. What I admired about this story was how easily can a bad character change into a good one and vice versa. Looking at the facts from another point of view made so much difference and the horrible step-mother suddenly turned into a protector. There was a hint of sexual abuse at the end - a total shock to me - but well written and incorporated. Very subtle and smooth. Lovely done in the way it will shock you but if you don't focus you might miss it.
- I have to noten here that I loved the little bear cub.

Little Knife
- A great way of integrating feminism in the story; the pretty girl asking all essential questions & men not listening to her is an amazing demonstration of how it should not be. The girls also have brains not just looks. I also loved that she ended up with a woman at the end. Was this intended LGBT+ hint? Again it was naturally included in the story and so well written. I wish more books were like this.

The Soldier Prince
- My least favourite story from the book. It was very confusing. Very unusual, it felt like a mix of the Nutcracker and Prince and Ballerina story by Hans Christian Andersen and the Piper and the rats story. But I was confused with how he got to be alive. How did he make any of the wishes or decisions? And most of all how did he swap the place with the maker? Did I get it right that the toy maker killed people to somehow include their soul into the toy?
I didn't like the main female protagonist, she seemed weak and soft and too self-centred. This was, of course, intended and I think she was a well-built character but I still didn't like her.

When Water Sang Fire
- The best was served to us at the end. This story was clearly the little mermaid inspired. The story of Ursula and... I loved every single word! It was perfectly thought through! The details of the spells and dialogues were well balanced. The character development in the short story is sometimes hard to do but it was simply amazingly done. Again, Leigh mastered the change from good to evil and vice versa which will probably stun me every time. The world in this story felt complete and the background for the setting had so much detail, history, legends. Just perfect, five-star short story.
- Magic spell with mirror at the end gave me goosebumps for days! It was incredible.




No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com