Reading Challenge of 2018 Part 1


To read or not to read? What a stupid question.

I have to admit I had the "dark years". I lived in England for four years and the room that I rented was simply not big enough for books. This is not an excuse for not reading, trust me, this is my attempt at getting this suffering out of my chest. I had three books and I struggled with finding a space for them. Life was hard. I bought the e-reader for Christmas one year and I downloaded my favourites, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the classic old school book. So I didn't read and somehow... I survived.

Everything changed last year when I moved from England to the Netherlands and rented a room three times bigger than my "under the stairs cupboard" room. Suddenly there was a built-in bookshelf just above my desk. I always dream
ed of having such a thing. It was absolutely beautiful and so I put those few books on display and realised that I can possibly fit a few more. I started reading again and in the January 2018, I decided to set myself a reading challenge.

I am a slow reader. I used to read one book for six weeks and then not read for three months. My 2017 reading list is embarrassing and with only four books it is not worth mentioning at all. So setting the challenge on Good Reads with twelve books for 2018 was a bold move. But this was something I really desired and wanted to do. I have been feeling like I need to catch up on what I missed during those "dark years". So here is my reading challenge 2018 progress so far...

1. The Fellowship of the Ring 
- I read the Lord of the Rings only once and in the Slovakian language. Let me tell you that the translation of this book is a disgrace! I wasn't courageous enough to start reading Tolkien in English in so I waited. The time has come this year; I felt like my English if finally on the right level to enjoy these books. I purchased a second-hand book that cost me only three euros. It took me almost three months to finish this book. Tolkien is not light reading material but I am pleased and it is an unforgettable experience to read it in English.

2. Caraval 
- After my first book, I needed a lighter read. There was a lot of hustle about Caraval on bookstagram. I bought it simply because other people recommendations and I was curious if it is good; if I can trust bookstagram with book recommendations. Turns out I can. I simply love his community.

3. Midnight Blue 
- This was a blind purchase simply because of the cover. Love on first sight (and the half price) made me pick this little story. I lived in Amsterdam for ten months in 2016 and that is why this book brought a completely new experience for me as I knew the places mentioned really well. You don't get such thing with Lord of the Rings; for example. You can't visit the Middle-Earth but you can visit Vermeer's house in Delft.

4. The Glass Castle 
- Books you get as Christmas presents are always a risk. If your best friend gives you a book, you can be sure it will be a good one though. I couldn't put it down. It was everything the book needs to be, shocking, emotional and real... this one was even based on a true story which made an even bigger impact on me and finally, the book made me cry; what didn't happen since Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince.

5.The Wolves of Winter 
- I was so excited to read a book from my very first book box - the amazing Magic Chest. The theme was Into the Woods and it was perfect for the LOTR fans. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this one as much, it was too predictable and too childish and some parts made me cringe. If that was the goal of the author than mission accomplished.

6. Throne of Glass 
- I haven't heard about Sarah J. Mass until this year... I had no idea about the whole hipe that is on bookstagram and this book was a book club pick. I started reading it with no idea what I am getting myself into. I found myself enjoying the book and I was so curious about what happens next.
A lot of people complain about the main character that she is too girly for an assassin... but I like that about her. Women should be able to be engineers, pilots, drivers and assassins without giving up fashion or beauty... Women are allowed to be themselves whatever that means. I also loved the part about the period. I find that many authors overlook the period of the main female character but we all know how much it can affect the life of a woman.
Rhetorical question: What do you think Twilight would have ended like if Bella actually had her period?

7. Uprooted 
- I love girls from my book club. They pick the most amazing books. Uprooted is so far the best book of 2018. Full review here: BR: UPROOTED BY NAOMI NOVIK - 4/5.


It has only been four months of the 2018 and I have six books on my list already! I can not express how excited and happy I am about this. So what is next?

My Current Read is Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine and I am planning to write a review soon. If you want to stay in touch with me and my Reading Challenge of 2018 find me on GoodReads, send me a friend request.



No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com