Don't be trashy, recycle!


22nd of April is the Earth Day but for me, every day is an Earth Day, so let's talk about the environment for a little while...

"Why? This is not connected to the books in any way... " If this was your first thought; you need to reconsider your lifestyle.

Think of the things you enjoy the most. Do you like listening to music? Or love cats and a cup of tea? Or is it cold beer and pizza that makes you happy? Well, I am sorry to tell you that these things are only on the planet Earth and it will take a long time until we are brewing beer on Mars (if ever).
Every single little thing we do during our everyday life affects our planet and it would be a shame to lose these precious things. For example, books. Books are made of paper (or recycled paper, which is even better), a paper is made of trees. If we recycle more, we make more books from recycled paper and at the end save the trees. Hence: "Don't be trashy, recycle!"

I decided to share with you what I do to save our planet and if I inspire someone to do at least one thing from my list this wasn't a waste of time.

1. Reusable Coffee Cup - I actually have two coffee cups. I prefer the smaller sizes. I don't drink litres of coffee but I enjoy a nice cappuccino on the go; in the train, in the car, while walking into the shops or reading a book in the park. These two cups are the perfect size for a small latte or cappuccino homemade or from a cafe. I haven't been to a cafe that would refuse to make a coffee in my reusable cup, so don't be shy to ask. Bonus point - they fit easily in any of my handbags.

2. Reusable Shopping Bags - People say they ALWAYS have one with them. Well... I am a bit suspicious of those who say that and I don't believe it is true. I don't carry a reusable bag with me but I make sure that if I go to do groceries I stop at home and pick my bag. If I go to the shop without one of these bad boys, I just buy a couple of things that I am ok to drop in my handbag or carry in my arms.

3. Plastic bottles in the fridge - Never-ending story of the plastic bottles. I have 3 in my fridge, for more than a year now. I always fill them up with tap water and put them back in the fridge. We are lucky enough in Europe that we can drink tap water, so why buy it? (And just if you wondering; No, I don't drink Coca-Cola, Sprite or any other sodas, they are not good for you or our planet's health so why bother?)

4. Mooncup - this is the newest addition to the "save the planet" family and I love it! Mooncup is so much better for your body than tampons or pads, and it is super eco-friendly and saves you money too. If you don't have one yet, you are definitely missing out and you are not the cool cat in town. So, check out the webpage or go to your local Boots to get one and then just own your period.

5. Reusable straws - I only have two, but I have seen glass straws on eBay that I am planning to purchase for all those summer garden afternoons with Pimm’s or homemade Ice-Teas and the book.

6. Lunchboxes - this one is a tricky one, I usually make lunch at home and pack a lunch box with me, this way I minimize the packaging of the products. (see the point 7) But also if I buy something that is in the plastic box, I wash the box and reuse it as a storage container or lunch box.

7. Minimize the footprint - this point can be applied in various ways. for example; save the electricity or water but what I am trying to do is mostly connected to the food. I always try to buy loose vegetables without any extra package. I am not vegetarian but I try to eat more vegetables than meat as the production footprint of the meat is so much worse and I am not going to start with animals suffering in the hands of food factories because that is for the full blog article... so maybe next time.


WISHLIST: Bamboo toothbrush.



No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com