Book Reviews Information


Why do we, readers, start blogs? We read like crazy, everybody knows that… But what do we write about?



The answer is; books. We write book reviews. I started this blog for the very same reason; to share my opinions and thoughts about the books. I am not sure if anyone reads this blog, or if my articles helped anyone with picking their next read. Which would be amazing but I write this blog because I love reading and I love writing. The blog is fun. It feels good to make a fresh coffee on Sunday morning, sit down at my desk with Luna walking around and trying to nap on my keyboard, and just write.  

I haven’t felt like that in a long time now… I got annoyed with writing book reviews. I just don’t feel like doing it. I don’t know what to tell you about the books I read... I just finished Becoming by Michelle Obama and it was a five-star read. First five star read of 2019 for me. It was brilliant and smart and enjoyable (despite all the politics) it was reflecting all the themes that resonate within me the most: feminism, racism and quality. I loved this book. That is all. I don’t think it is enough for the book review structure I set up for myself when I started this blog.

This is the core of the problem. I am demotivated to write a book review because I feel like I need to stick to some ridiculous structure which I created at the beginning of this blog journey.

Here is the structure:
- Favourite Quote
- Few words about the plot and in general about the book (no spoilers).
- What was the main theme of the book?
- What were the main characters like?
- What language did the author use in the book?
- The overall feeling of the book and how did I like it.
- Who would I recommend this book to?

I had to tell you about the language of the writer I have to tell you about vocabulary, tone. I had to point out my fav quote. While there could be so many amazing quotes in the book. Why pick only one? I find this structure restraining and demotivating. I want to enjoy my blog again. I want to feel happy and inspired writing the articles and that is why from today the book reviews will change.

The star rating will be the same. I was and I will always give a number of stars based on my feeling. There is no math behind it. I ask myself two questions: Did I like the book? Yes/No, how much?

The new book reviews will have no structure. I will not tell you how long approximately they will be. It might be a few lines or twelve pages. I might go on and on about how much I loved the main character or tell you very briefly that the author basically ruined the seven-book series by using “callused hands” too many times in the book eight. Some book reviews might consist of quotes only, and some might not have any quotes at all. What I can promise you is that the book review will be honest and I will pour my heart in them. 

The reviews won’t be spoiler free, because I feel like that is also ruining my enjoyment. I feel I have to restrain myself and think too much not to give anything away so I don’t ruin the book for you.
This is all done now. New book reviews are coming your way….

Read on your own risk...

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com