Reading Challenge of 2018 Part 2




This is the second part of my reading challenge so if you haven't read the first blog post, follow the link: Reading Challenge of 2018 Part 1 and then come back to this article for the wrap-up.

My GoodReads Challenge for this year was to read twelve books; one book per month. I set this up because I didn't want to pressure myself or stress out about the reading goal. Reading is supposed to be fun so as soon as you stress about it something is wrong. I felt like this goal is realistic and doable but I will have to push myself a little bit to achieve it... frankly it was the opposite I dived in reading and it consumed me; so it happened that I finished this goal already in July.

Here is the list including few words about the books I read in the second half of my challenge:

8. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine 
- Let's say this book is out of my comfort zone. It is not the genre that I would normally read but I saw the costa coffee bookclub sticker and I decided to give it a try because it is my most favourite coffee and cafe in the world. I gave this book three stars because it is simply not my cup of tea. It made me depressed although I believe that was the purpose of the book I read to feel better to be amused and entertained and escape reality which is sometimes too much to handle. If you want to read the full book review, here is the link: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine Book Review

9. Crown of Midnight 
- The second part of the Throne of Glass series was exactly what I needed after Elanor. It was a great adventure and good fun to read with magic and fantasy world. One of my friends said that this book series is the guilty pleasure kind of book. And I love it! I plan to read the whole series by the end of this year... so stay with me if you want to be part of this journey.


10. The Night Circus 
- This book club read is compared to Caraval a lot but I think the only similarity is the environment. While Caraval is light and amazing read that you go through in few days, the Night Circus has a deeper meaning and is more complicated, time doesn't flow in the book as you would expect it and I think I need to re-read it to completely understand what was going on. The only reason for three stars is that I feel like I missed a lot in the book and hence I didn't get the full picture.
So if I do re-read the Night Circus I will update my book review too.
Link: The Night Circus Book Review

11. Trhlina 
- Trhlina is supposed to be the best book Jozef Karika wrote so far. I don't usually read Slovakian authors but this book captured my attention when it came in the bookstore (Martinus) newsletter so I purchased it at the first opportunity. I was expecting a scarier story. Don't get me wrong I am a scaredy-cat so it did frighten me but I was expecting to be up during the nights and I was expecting to be scared to go to the toilet alone. None of that happened but I still enjoyed the book. I am not going to read all of Jozef Karika's books but if one of them will stand out like this one I will pick it up.
Trhlina Book Review

12. Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race 
- Do you know of OurSharedShelf on GoodReads? No? Then check it out, it is a book club lead by amazing Emma Watson who picks a book every two months, anyone can join, the book club is selecting feminism books such as The Handmaid's Tale or the Heart Berries. In January and February the read was Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge I finally got the chance to read this book and OMG! It opened my eyes to completely new horizons and left me completely stunned at the situation that is all around us which I was blind to before. Well written and perfectly described book that I recommend to everyone. 

My Reading challenge for 2018 is finished but my reading continues. I am currently reading The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas so you can expect a review soon and after that, I am planning to dive into the Throne of Glass series as I would like to finish it this year. 

Have you read any of these books? Let me know your opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com